Biological contaminants can be just as harmful to the health as asbestos or lead. If your Bay Area homeâs indoor air has been contaminated by mold or other biological materials, itâs essential that you call a professional to have it contained and removed. Bird Breederâs Lung is one of the most common health hazards that can come as a result of exposure to these materials. Here is a brief guide to this condition and how you can avoid it:
What is Bird Breederâs Lung?
Bird Breederâs Lung is the common name for hypersensitivity pneumonitis, also known as allergic alveolitis. The condition develops when a personâs lungs become inflamed because they have had an allergic reaction to dust particles that they have breathed in. This usually happens as a result of prolonged exposure to the dust.
What causes Bird Breederâs Lung?
As the name suggests, the condition often happens to people who have been working with birds because they have breathed in particles from bird droppings. However, it can also result from exposure to a wide range of other materials, including mold, chemical fumes and paints. It can even happen when a person is working with materials not usually considered dangerous, such as wood pulp and cheese casings.
What are the signs of Bird Breederâs Lung?
People who have an acute version of the condition may experience temporary cough, headache, and chest tightness during exposure to the materials. If the condition worsens, it can cause abnormal breathing rates, labored breathing, chronic fatigue, and other serious issues.
Is Bird Breederâs Lung dangerous?
Yes. If you donât take steps to stop your exposure to the harmful materials, it can result in permanent damage to your health.
How can I prevent Bird Breederâs Lung?
You can reduce your risk of conditions such as Bird Breederâs Lung by working to keep your indoor air as clean as possible, using tools such as air purifiers. You should also make sure that your A/C vents stay clean and free of dust and mold. If your buildingâs air is already contaminated, however, your best move is to have it removed by an experienced professional.